Saturday, January 12, 2013

Beer Bread

Last week when I was doing the weekly grocery shopping I picked up a six pack of Samuel Adams Winter Lager on a whim.  I'm not much of a beer drinker, but my husband likes to try new flavors.  Unfortunately, this one was way too sweet for his tastes and I was left with 5 bottles of beer in my fridge taking up space.  So I decided to try making beer bread.

Ingredients
3 cups of all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
12 oz beer
3 tbs unsalted butter (melted)

Preheat your oven to 375 and grease your 9X5 loaf pan.  In a large mixing bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients.  Slowly pour in the beer and mix with a wooden spoon until a sticky dough comes together.  The consistency will be somewhere between cake batter and cookie dough.  Pour into your prepared loaf pan and pout the melted butter over the top.  My loaf took about 55 minutes, but times may vary based on your oven.  Start checking at about 45 min.  Bread should be crusty and browned on top.  Let it cool in the pan for a few minutes and then turn it out onto a cooling rack to finish.

 The bread was slightly sweet and and crusty on top with a soft middle.  We've been eating it with butter and with peanut butter and jelly. 

This post is featured on the Little House Living Old Fashioned Recipe Exchange

No comments:

Post a Comment