Wednesday, January 16, 2013

TV

These last few months I haven't been able to bring myself to watch much of my normal television favorites.  CSI, Bones, etc.  There's just been too much death and mayhem in real life lately for me to find much enjoyment in watching it on television.  I've had to use a Wayback Machine, of sorts, for my entertainment needs lately.  One of my current (past) favorites is WKRP in Cincinnati.  I watched it quite a lot when I was a kid, but so much of it went over my head that I'm able to enjoy them now and take something new away from each episode. 

My oldest son watched an episode with me while he was home from college over Winter Break.  We got just a few minutes in and he turned to me and asked, "Who's the bad guy in this?"  He could barely believe me when I told him that there were no bad guys in the main cast and that most of the guest star bad guys could hardly be considered bad by today's television standards. My daughter watched an episode with me later and didn't understand why Bailey being a woman was an issue in deciding whether she could go on the air or not.  My little girl had no comprehension of gender discrimination and this was a way to ease her into the idea that things had not always been as they are today.

Of course, no Thanksgiving is complete without viewing Turkeys Away.  That's the episode where we get this gem from Mr. Carlson:  "As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Since Jan 1st WKRP has been coming on 8 times a week between it's runs on Antenna TV and FamNet and I couldn't be happier.




1 comment:

  1. I dont think I have ever seen an episode of that show. I see it on from time to time, and next time will have to tak the time to watch:)

    ReplyDelete