Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Fruity Oaty Bars

My husband and I are *big* Firefly fans.  I might even go so far as to say "geeks".  For Valentine's Day this year we got each other Blue Sun t-shirts from Think Geek.  In the Firefly/Serenity universe, Fruity Oaty Bars are a snack food made by the Blue Sun Corporation.  Their commercials are bizarre and hilarious and contain subliminal messages to trigger the heroin into a (more or less mindless) human weapon.  So of course, I decided that I had to figure out how to make them as a surprise for my husband.

I started with the basic Rice Krispies Treats recipe and tweaked it.  Since the original calls for 6 cups of cereal, I decided that I should aim for about 6 cups of dry ingredients total.  I used about 1cup of pomegranate flavored craisins and dried pineapple chopped up for the "Fruity" part.  Then I added about a cup of honey roasted cashews which I also chopped.  I then added what was left in my container of oats, which was about 2 cups for the "Oaty" part.  I finished it off with about 2 cups of Rice Krispies.  After I had all the dry stuff mixed together, I melted a 10 oz bag of marshmallows with about 4 tablespoons of butter over low heat.  Once it was all melted and smooth I dumped in the dry ingredients and stirred.  It was really, really thick and not at all easy.  I scraped the whole mess into a greased 9X13 baking dish and used greased plastic wrap to smoosh it all down.  I let it sit for a couple of hours to firm up and then cut it into roughly granola bar shapes.  If I had a functioning printer I would have printed off some Fruity Oaty Bar wrappers from the internet.  But alas, I don't...so I didn't.

They don't honestly look like much, but they taste good and I'm certain that my hubby will get a kick out of them.  :)


As always, Think Geek, The Firefly Wiki, and The Blue Sun Corporation have nothing to do with this and (I hope) don't even know I exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment