Saturday, February 16, 2013

Wife Soup

I promise I'm not turning this into a Firefly blog.  Probably.  Tonight I decided to make soup for dinner to use up some random leftovers and little bits of this and that.  I've seen some cooks call this "Trash Soup" or "Kitchen Sink Soup" but, being the Firefly fan that I am... any unnamed soup becomes "Wife Soup".  Also, just FYI, abandoned Wife Soup becomes Free Soup.  Anyway, here's what I made:

I took the last 4 or 5 red potatoes that were left in the bag and peeled and chopped them up.  I also chopped up the last little bit of a head of cauliflower that was in the fridge.  I put the potatoes, cauliflower and a heaping tablespoon of chopped garlic all in my large soup pan and covered it with about 3 cups of water and a tablespoon of chicken bouillon.  I brought all that to a boil then dropped the heat down to medium and cooked it until it was very soft uncovered.  A lot of the liquid evaporated, and that's ok.  I then used my immersion blender and blended everything until it was the consistency of a thick applesauce.  I added my Scarborough Fair spice blend (I mix up dried parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme in equal amounts).  I used about 2 tsp.  I also added some salt and black pepper to taste.

I put it back on the stove and added about a cup of water and 5-6 dashes of hot sauce.  Hot sauce is optional, I like a little heat to all my food.  My favorite brand is Black Widow's Kiss which I picked up at Big Lots some time ago.  I put the heat back on medium low and added the last of a stick of butter (probably 2 tablespoons), some chopped up ham leftover from a previous evening's dinner and the last couple of spoonfuls in the package of real bacon bits (not imitation, the real stuff).  Finally I added the last of the milk... about a half cup or so.  Heat until the butter is melted and the soup is hot, stirring occasionally.  I served it with oyster crackers, a sprinkle of shredded colby cheese and a dollop of sour cream.  It was delicious, if I do say so myself.

No pictures, because potato soup is ugly as sin in photographs.  lol

No comments:

Post a Comment