Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Home Again (and a recipe)

So I have returned from my Lexington Comic Con adventure.  Unfortunately, I have returned sick.  I suppose being packed into a convention center with approximately 6,000 other people it was inevitable.

 This is me and Theodus Crane.  He played Big Tiny on The Walking Dead.  He was awesome and very sweet.  It was worth coming home sick to get to have such a good time with my kid.





 I felt a little off yesterday but today I woke up feeling as though I'd been gargling with broken glass and rusty nails.  So what is the logical thing to do when you have a sore throat?  Make soup!  Even if it is 7 in the morning...

So, at that hour I have no patience or coordination  on the best of days so this is a quick and dirty Hot and Sour Udon Noodle soup.  Afterward, I will tell you what I would do if I were feeling well, and it was a more reasonable hour of the day.

Ingredients
2 cups water
2 tsp chicken bouillon powder
1 tsp minced garlic (from a jar)
a pinch of dried parsley
a pinch of black pepper
1/4 tsp powdered ginger
splash of soy sauce
squirt of Sriracha
2 drops of sesame oil
a healthy squirt or two of lime juice (from a plastic lime shaped bottle)
a small handful of udon noodles broken into small pieces

In a small sauce pan bring the water, boullion, garlic, parsley, pepper, ginger and soy to a boil.  Add the udon noodles.  I broke mine up just because I couldn't be bothered with long noodles that early in the morning.  My package of noodles said to boil for 4 min.  Make sure you look at the package of your noodles for cooking times.  Turn of the burner but leave the pan on the stove.  Add the Sriracha, sesame oil and a really healthy squirt or two of lime juice.  Taste for seasoning and adjust as you like...some bouillons are saltier than others as are soy sauces.  Add a bit of water if it's too salty.  Consume while it's steaming hot.  It burns so good :)

I used these ingredients because garlic and ginger always seem to improve my colds and sore throats and I have to believe that the heat of the Sriracha helps increase blood flow to the throat.

If I were making this for people other than my sick self or wanted to make a nice dinner presentation, I would use a quality chicken broth (preferably homemade).  Also, freshly minced garlic and ginger and probably add a bit of carrot and/or daikon radish.  I would use fresh parsley (maybe a bit of cilantro if you are one of the people to whom it doesn't taste like dish soap).  And fresh lime juice and slices or wedges of lime in the bowls when serving.  Oh, and I probably wouldn't break the noodles.  They are much prettier long.

Note:  If you wanted to increase the protein you could make this an egg drop soup with or without the noodles.  Just mix up a raw egg in a coffee cup and drizzle it slowly into the simmering broth and stir gently with a fork to make long ribbons of egg.  It won't take more than a minute or so for the egg to be cooked.

I shared this recipe on the Little House Living Old Fashioned Recipe Exchange



2 comments:

  1. this looks GREAT! Thank you for another great soup idea. I am sick this week too, so will be trying this. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) I hope you like it and get well quickly, too.

    ReplyDelete