Friday, April 5, 2013

Pinterest Envy and Food Guilt

I don't understand people.

I say that all the time and I always mean it.  I read this blog today http://modernmrsdarcy.com/2013/01/surprising-reason-pinterest-makes-some-women-feel-like-crap-social-comparison/ about social comparisons and Facebook and Pinterest.  I have seen little graphics that make jokes about Pinterest making people feel inferior, but I didn't know it was a real thing.  But there are real live people who browse Pinterest and then feel bad about themselves.  I just don't get it.  I mean, sure... I occasionally have a thought of "I wish I could have, visit, or see (insert thing or place here)".  But apparently people are hating on themselves for not cooking things they pin, or not crafting or what have you.  Life is too short for that.  If you want to cook something, then cook it.  If you want to make a craft, then make it.  It's not the end of the world if it doesn't turn out.  It's also not the end of the world if you never get around to it.  Big freakin' deal.

Which brings me to another thing I've been thinking about lately.  I see so many recipes that say "Guilt Free" or "Worth The Guilt" or what ever and it makes me crazy.  Full disclosure:  I'm kinda chunky now and struggled with what was probably an undiagnosed eating disorder while I was in high school.  I get weight issues, I really do.  What I don't get is assigning an emotion like guilt to food.  Either eat it or don't.  But if you do, don't bother angsting about it.  Eat and go on with your life.  Feeling guilty doesn't burn calories and life is short.

And while I'm spouting what might be unpopular opinions:  Not everything that is worth doing is worth doing well.  Some things are only worth doing half-assed.  Some things aren't worth doing at all.  It's your life, you decide.








No comments:

Post a Comment