Saturday, May 4, 2013

Cinco de Mayo / Sick Day Soup

I am once again under the weather and you know that every time I get sick...I make soup.  Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo, so that means that today is Mexican Recipe Day on the internet.  Being sick and inspired, but unwilling to go to the grocery, I created this using pantry ingredients and some leftovers from earlier this week.  I give you:

Sopa de Frijol Negro con Cerdi  (Black Bean Soup with Pork if you are not using Google Translate like I did)

All amounts are approximate and to taste.  That's the beautiful thing about soup.

5 cups of water
2 chicken bouillon cubes (I used the ones by Knorr that have the label in Spanish, they are larger than regular cubes)
2 cans of black beans (drained)
1 can of diced tomatoes and green chilies (aka Rotel) (also drained)
2 Knorr chipotle cubes
1 heaping tbsp of minced garlic

1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp onion powder
a pinch of black pepper
a pinch of ancho chile powder

a couple dashes of Maggi Jugo sauce
a couple splashes of lime juice

1 cup shredded pork

Put the water, bouillon cubes, beans, Rotel, chipotle cubes and garlic in a large pot.  Heat just to a boil then lower the heat and allow to simmer for 15 min.  Begin adding the dry spices one by one.  Stir thoroughly after each addition and taste as you go.  Adjust to your own tastes.  Allow to simmer for another 10 min.  Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender until mostly smooth.  Completely smooth is impossible with my blender so I just get used to some "texture" in my blended foods.  Return to stove and bring back up to a simmer.  Add the shredded pork (mine was leftover from a pork loin I had cooked in the crockpot and used for tacos but you could use chicken or just leave it meatless).  Simmer until the pork is heated through and the soup has thickened slightly.  Add a dash or two of Maggi Jugo sauce and a couple splashes of lime juice or to your taste.

I garnished mine with a little crumbled queso fresco and served it with cornbread.  Unfortunately, my cornbread didn't turn out so great, so I'm not sharing that recipe yet.  :)






No comments:

Post a Comment