Sunday, May 5, 2013

Duck Dynasty

I held out for a long time, but a few weeks ago I finally watched an episode of Duck Dynasty.  That's all it took...I'm hooked.  I have firmly jumped on that band wagon.  I don't know how much of it is "reality" but, whatever it is, it is hilarious.  It's occasionally touching.  It also frequently reminds me of things from my childhood that I had completely forgotten.

I was born and have lived my entire life in a medium sized city in Kentucky that is very much a small town.  Basically, I'm from a long line of rednecks. Once I got to be 11 or 12 or so, I started to be sort of embarrassed by the hunting, camping, fishing lifestyle.  It's only been in the past year or so that I've embraced my redneck roots.  My husband was transplanted here from way up North and has never seen this side of me.  This leads to some truly hilarious revelations.

On one episode tonight two of the Robertson brothers had a fishing competition.  One of the brothers was net fishing and the other was running a trot line.  When I commented on this, my husband looked at me like I'd grown a second head.  For good reason, it's probably been 25 years since the words "trot line" had crossed my lips.  He's only known me for about 15.  The boat that the trot line brother was using reminded me of the boats my daddy used to have.  My parents took me camping for the first time when I was less than a week old.  You know how new parents sometimes take their fussy babies out for car rides to lull them to sleep?  Well, my parents took me out on Kentucky Lake in a bass boat at night to lull me to sleep.  We spent every spare moment of decent weather up at that lake camping, fishing, and boating.  I hadn't thought of that in years until tonight.




2 comments:

  1. We must live parallel lives! I am from rural Oklahoma and my dad hunted, fished, and we all camped out in one of those pop-up trailers as often as my parents could both get off work. We even camped out in Kentucky now and then because we had family friends who lived there! I can't remember the name of the town near the lake but it was just a few miles from Ohio. My husband thinks it's hilarious when I talk about that "life" because he has no reference point to start from with me. I can't stand camping - I appreciate hunting and fishing but don't enjoy it at all. We haven't watched Duck Dynasty mostly because Robertson is my families name and I'm afraid I may be related! Funny thing is that my dad and those who came before him were also extremely well educated but you really couldn't tell by the way they looked - I hear it's the same for the DD folks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It amazes me how often I run across people on the internet and want to ask, "Are you me?". Lol

    I haven't camped in years, and the last time I did was such an experience that I will have to make a separate post about it. I don't really hunt either, but have gotten in to target shooting. My daughter does 4H shooting sports and that has reignited my interest.

    I just watched an ep yesterday that confirmed that all of the Robertsons have college degree except for Si. He was career military, I think. I think it would be awesome to be related to the most famous rednecks on tv :)

    ReplyDelete