Monday, March 13, 2017

So, last night it occurs to me that I haven't blogged "in a while" and I should probably check in on it.  Good grief...it's been well over two years since I used this thing.  A lot has happened over those years, some good, some bad, some indifferent.  I graduated from college, my oldest child graduated from college and moved to Japan, my middle child moved into his first apartment, I had emergency gallbladder surgery and my recovery was much longer than it should have been, I did a little travelling.  The world kept turning, life kept happening, and I didn't document any of it.

After a mostly fruitless job search (no one wants to hire a woman in her 40s with so little work experience...SAHM and student doesn't seem to count for much) I've been dipping my toe into the freelance writing pool.  I have submitted my first contracted article and I am waiting to see if there are revisions needed.  The pay is...well, it comes with a byline and I suppose that's the important part.  I have a few proposals submitted that I'm waiting to hear back about and in the mean time I'm trying to get into the habit of writing something, anything, every day.

I think there might be 2 people that actually read this, which is cool, since I think this is just going to be a sort of online diary/daybook type of thing.  I think I'm going to start a separate blog to use as a portfolio of sorts.  I haven't settled on a niche for my writing yet, so it will be a hodgepodge of product reviews, listicles, and articles.  I need to see where my strengths lie since there isn't much market for the type of academic research papers that I've been writing for the last few years.  Well, there is a market for it...but I'm not interested in helping people cheat their way through high school and college.  I did it the hard way, and damnit, everyone else should, too. I guess that makes me sound old and crotchety, but that's ok.  Also, those darn kids need to get off my lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment